The church  was built by the Florentine Podestà Simone di Lorenzo Altoviti starting from 1594 to give Reggello a building suitable to perform with dignity the spiritual needs of a community who, already from the end of the XV century, had known a huge expansion and a good financial development. In 1780, under the Bishop of Fiesole Monsignor Ranieri Mancini’s will, the simple oratory became a parish.
The church of San Jacopo has a very simple architectural structure with an only nave ; to the first oratory’s structure were added the sacristy (1666) and the parsonage, while the present bell tower belongs to 1866 . After various readjustments, well witnessed by the historical postcards [4, 5, 6], the last restoration of the 1959 has brought again into light, on the side and on the central wall, monochromatic frescos of the XVII century, representing the Twelve Apostles. Along the nave, on the left of the first altar, there is a painting representing the Madonna in Glory and the Saints Lawrence, Charles Borromeo, Philip Neri and Stephen ascribed to Pietro Confortini in the first quarter of the XVII century.
In the rectangular apse there is the beautiful painting by Filippo Tarchiani (1576-1645), representing the Madonna with the Infant in Glory and the Saints Jacopo, Magdalene, Francis, Anthony Abbot [7, 8], once placed on the altar. There follows some modern works by the painters Alfredo Cifariello and Umberto Brandigi. The three stained-glass windows along the nave come from the church of St. Agata in Arfoli. In the sacristy is conserved an interesting patterned tissue frontal, decorated with flower motives and a series of 18th century candelabrum in carved, gilded and varnished wood, that carry, on its lower part, the image of the shell, symbol of the church patron, St. Jacopo. The 18th century organ, above the church door, is a work by the Florentine Master Antonio Felice Parlicini.