Suffragan of the parish of San Leolino a Rignano sull’Arno, it was first mentioned in 1274. It presents a very simple structure, with an only nave with a short transept and a squared apse.
The original roman plan has often been worked over during the centuries: it underwent some works for the consecration (1580) and in 1733 are documented important works of renovation of the building. In 1877 the church was widened in the part of presbytery and purged from internal ornaments; the 18th century porch was buffered and two windows were opened on the façade, as shown in photos preceding the restoration of 1948, which gave the building its present appearance [1. 2].
The artistic estate of the church grew notably when the patronage was given to Abbot Giovan Battista Caruana who had already bought some adjoining estates. He substituted all the existing paintings, considered “of bad brush”, with works acquired by him. In this way, on the altar, was placed the board representing The Archangel Michael and Saints Clement Pope and Jerome of XVI century Florentine school (the Immaculate Conception with the Trinity, today on the cymatum, was once part of the same board) . More interesting is the beautiful Madonna Taken up with Angels and Saints John Evangelist, Jerome and John The Baptist ascribed to Girolamo Macchietti (1535-1592) , that substitutes a painting, today lost, given by Caruana. Particularly notable, are the beautiful bas-relief ascribed to Antonio Rossellino (1427-1479), representing the Madonna with the Infant , placed on the altar of the left transept, and the two Angels holding candelabrum  in the middle of the apse wall, ascribed to Mino da Fiesole (1429-1484). Both the works were given by Caruana, who bought them on the antiquarian market, just like a ciborium wing representing The Risen Christ  ascribed to the Sienese painter Paolo di Giovanni Fei (1340-1411), presently placed in the Seminary of Fiesole.