The church  has very ancient origins, so much that a long tradition tells it was wanted by Matilde di Canossa.
The first written news is of 1230 and the patronage belonged long to Ardimanni family.
The building presents itself with a roman plan, dating back probably to XI and XII centuries. Although having had many interventions during the years (between 17th and 18th century, in fact, the only nave was transformed in a Latin cross) it was brought back to its original state by the last restoration (1966-1968).
On the right wall there is the sepulchre’s tombstone of Ardimanni family, dated 1126 . On the right wall, in a 17th century aedicule, a fresco is visible, representing the Madonna on throne between Saints Macario and John The Baptist and an Annunciation on the upper side (middle XV century) . In the transept on the right, may be admired a beautiful organ (1756) and, in the presbytery, the frescoes representing Life Stories of St. Agata, detached from the porch in front of the church. Passed the altar and its tabernacle (1450), on the left of transept, there is the chapel, the most ancient centre of the building, today entitled to the Most Holy Sacrament but originally dedicated to St. Agata. On the wall hangs a fragment of ambo with zoomorphic and geometric decorations (VII century)  and a 17th century aedicule which frames a fresco representing the Madonna with the Infant on throne between Saints Anthony and Sebastian, ascribed to Raffaellino del Garbo and dated 1497 . The predella with Scenes of St. Sebastian’s martyrdom shows the figure of the client, Filippo Alamanni, prior and patron of the church since 1457. An ancient baptismal font, found during the works made in the cloister, is exposed too (XI century). In the little cloister, dated 1228, there are four corner columns original of the XIII century. Some jewellery , together with drapes  and the precious case of the chapters of the Company of Sant’Agata , are today in the Museum Masaccio of Sacred Art in Cascia.