As the toponym means, derived from Latin “tabernae”, the primitive centre of the town were the tavernuzze, that is little taverns arisen in medieval age on the right shore of river Pescina, a Greve’s tributary, where it crossed the Strada Romana. As to the Florentine land register of 1427 there were three, and one of them was a tavern, place of rest, destined mainly to the merchants and their mules loaded with goods. But, when between XVI and XVII century Strada Romana, for long parts narrow and uncomfortable, were improved to make it suitable for vehicles, the use of carts and carriages got travellers to prefer the most efficient San Casciano staging post, equipped for the change of horses, so that the modest town of Tavarnuzze started its decline.
Only at the end of 19th century it regained vitality, thanks also to the opening of the caves of pietra serena of Poggio a’ Grilli, today dismissed, and started to spread on the left side of Pescina. It briefly gained the appearance of town, with its small arbored square, whereon faced a coffee house, some shops, the post office and the building with the Primary School, pulled down some decades ago to create a parking. When the new steam railway of Chianti was realized, opened officially in the line Florence-Tavarnuzze on 2 March 1890, the town was chosen as seat of one of the stations and became a very busy place, because who needed to take the tram went there from the neighbourhood [2, 3]. At the beginning of the new century, on stonecutters initiative, whose skill is noticeable on the doorways of many houses in via de’ Baruffi , there also formed a Recreational Circle of Mandolinists, today seat of the Public Assistance [5, 6].
With the outbreak of the First World War the growth of the country stopped, but restarted in an unimaginable way at the end of the Second one, giving it that a little anonymous appearance typical of many localities increased too fast. Anyway, in the 50’s Tavarnuzze finally had its own church, entitled to Sacred Heart, which keeps inside a Madonna of Humility frescoed by Master of Barberino and an altarpiece with the Most Holy Trinity painted by Pier Dandini, coming respectively from the chapel of Vallombrosina and from the oratory of the Company of the Most Holy Sacrament of Montebuoni.