Basilica of Impruneta is rich of works of art of different ages. In the presbytery there is a great polyptych dated 1375 and realized by Florentine painters Pietro Nelli and Niccolò di Pietro Gerini. In the main register are represented the Madonna with the Infant and six copies of Apostles; the predella shows Stories of Christ, while the superior register illustrated Life stories of the Virgin. The work was almost completely rebuilt after the bombardment that in July 1944 razed the church .
The two small Renaissance temples besides the presbytery, wanted by Piero de’ Medici (1464-1469) and realized by architect Michelozzo with Luca della Robbia , were also rebuilt. On the right a glazed terracotta with the Crucifixion in the middle of Saints John the Baptist and Romulus (?)  reminds the presence of a relic of the True Cross brought by the commander Pippo Spano dei Buondelmonti (now in the Museum) [4, 5]. On the left Saints Luke and Paul nearby the aedicule where the Madonna of the Impruneta [6, 7], hidden to the believer, is conserved. As the story goes this painting, found under the earth while digging the church foundations, would be a true portrait of Mary realized by St. Luke Evangelist: actually it is a XII century board, restored by Ignazio Hugford in 1758. A marble basso-relievo of the middle XV century that illustrate the legend of the recovery, now in the Museum , was substituted by the rich silver frontal altar by Cosimo Merlini the Young and Bernardo Holzmann under Giovan Battista Foggini drawing, given by Cosimo III de’ Medici in 1714 [9, 10, 11].
The side altars are decorated with painting realized by important Florentine artists of the beginning of XVII century: on the left the Peter and Andrew Vocation by Jacopo da Empoli (1606), the St. Sebastian Martyrdom by Matteo Rosselli; on the right the Virgin Nativity by Passignano (1602), St. Lawrence Martyrdom ascribed to Cristofano Allori or to Cosimo Gamberucci. Other paintings representing the Virgin’s Miracles were placed in 18th century between the big side windows that substituted the gothic single-lancet windows .
Worth seeing is the side chapel on the right of the little Cross temple which preserves some late 14th century element and is enriched by a gilded bronze grid realized in 1636 by the goldsmith Cosimo Merlini the Old. Here there is the beautiful marble sepulchre of the 15th century of parson Degli Agli, with a tondo in bas-relief representing the Madonna with the Infant by the workshop of Benedetto da Maiano .
In counter-façade was settled after the war the precious 16th century organ of Brother Bernardo Argenta.
In sacristy, there is the Trinity by the Florentine painter Mariotto di Nardo, dated 1418. Always from the left people may go to the oratory of the Company of St. Sebastian, whose altar is decorated by a painting ascribed to Jean Bilivert representing the Madonna with the Infant and Saints Rocco and Sebastian.