In early Christian age, it often happened that place consecrated to pagan divinity were converted to Christian use. This happened also to Impruneta, whose primitive church of St. Mary took the place of an Etruscan Sanctuary, witnessed by some finds recovered in the neighbourhood of the building.
In the XI century has been erected a parish, consecrated on 3 January 1060 as to an inscription on a stone placed on the façade of the present church. This building had the typical characteristics of the roman Tuscany parish: the inside was divided in three naves separated by a series of rounded arches on pillars and ended by semi-circular apse . Its foundations have been found during the excavations for the rebuilding of the church after the bombardment of July 1944 , made by Arch. Ferdinando Rossi; ancient signs of arch and pillars masonry of the right nave came back to light and were partly left in sight on the present church wall.
The 1060’s parish had also a crypt, accessible only by the cloister. It is a little space with a vault roof held by four little columns with capitals decorated with simple geometric and anthropomorphic motives . In the entrance hall are conserved fragments of a white and green marquetry pulpit of the end of the XII century, which once decorated the superior church [4, 5]. Whereas on the left opens a room used in the past as burial ground of Buondelmonti family, parish’s patrons and rich landowners of the Impruneta area.
In the second half of the XIV century, under parson Stephen’s will, the roman parish was substituted with the only room church of the present size, to admit the numerous pilgrims who went praying by the Sanctuary of the Madonna of the Impruneta, worshipped in Florence too from the half of the century. Then another parson, Bishop Anthony degli Agli (1439-1477), had the parsonage widened and the little cloister built (the big one is of Stephen’s intervention period) and the complex with walls and towers surrounded, of which there are no more signs [6, 7].
In the XV century, Michelozzo and Luca della Robbia realized the two little temples of the presbytery, while in the following century the parson Andrea Buondelmonti had the polygonal apsis built; later were created four side altars, decorated with 17th century paintings by important Florentine painters. In the 18th century the church was enriched with many decorations and Saller realized a rich wooden coffered ceiling, now lost, under the scholar parson Casotti .
The rebuilding after the war period kept faith to the preceding structure and, however many baroque decorations have not been restored, every surviving work has been replaced.