Settled by the ancient castle of Mugnana, whence it takes the toponym, the church of San Donato was built by Buondelmonti in an area where Earls Bardi di Vernio had wide possessions too. The first news are of the XI century. The irregular building face, visible in the lower part of the bell tower and in the right wall, distinguishes the ancient part of the building (anyway already renovated in the 14th century) from the neo-13th century’s style façade . It was a product of heavy works of restoration in 1935 against project by Padre Raffaello Franci, who completely transformed the inside and the outside of the church, giving it its present forms. Behind the main altar is preserved San Primo martyr’s relic, moved there in 1860 from San Callisto’s catacomb in Rome.
Because of recent robberies, it became necessary to move the artistic valuable pieces that remained to safer places; of the many works and furnishings, which decorated this church, there are few left. In the church there is still the beautiful 18th century organ in carved and painted wood of the choir, while the Tuscan school painting representing the Rest after the Flight to Egypt (dated 1616)  is presently preserved in the church of St. Mary a Chioccio. The work, as the inscription tells, is due to Earl Carlo Bardi’s will and it is a copy of a painting by Andrea del Sarto (the Holy Family, today in Rome, Barberini Gallery). An elegant 18th century silver chalice, which was part of the liturgical equipment of this church, is preserved today in the Museum of Holy Art of Greve in Chianti.