The territory of the high Val di Greve has been inhabited and used mostly for agricultural aims, since the roman age, although, in this area, the settlement started in the Etruscan age. It was probably between the XI and XII century, during the Chianti battlements, that the Castle of Lamole has been built and it still preserves the characteristics of the primitive medieval settlement. With an elliptic plan, it is divided by an only axis and, in the past, it was completely surrounded by walls, of which there remains many signs, like the beautiful turret mast that worked as quarter-deck. Lamole’s position along an important way of penetration in Chianti  lead to the construction, in the outskirts of the castle, of a structure dedicated to the reception of wayfarers, the ancient Spedale of San Giovanni alle Masse, of which remains trace only in documents. Maybe just from this spedale comes the Florentine school board representing the Madonna with the Infant and the saints (XIV century) now settled in the Church of San Donato . The church, with an only nave, has been built in 1860 in neoclassical forms to substitute the original roman building (still visible behind the present construction ). Inside, it is possible to admire the archway fresco representing the Glory of St. Donato, a painting with the Madonna with the Infant and the Saints (school of Siena or of Florence of XVII century) notably also St. Eufrosino, traditionally known as the Chianti’s evangelizer. There follows the Mystic Wedding of St. Catherine (XVII century) and a painting with the Madonna of the Rosary, St. Agnes and St. Catherine from Alessandria coming from the near oratory of Poggio all’Olmo. Likewise rich is the possession of silverware and sacred paraments.