Casagrande dei Serristori [1, 2] is placed inside the walls of Figline Valdarno, of which incorporates a mighty angular tower (the so called “Torre Capitana” ). Documented since 1341 amongst the possessions of Guido Della Foresta, it was contiguous to a building owned by Sir Jacopo, father of Sir Ristoro. Later on, it became the rural residence of Serrristori family, maybe just from the age of Sir Ristoro , mostly known for having founded the hospital in 1399 whose name comes from this famous family from Figline.
The building, used for a long time for agricultural aims, was completely restored in 1908 by architect Giuseppe Castellucci on its owner’s request, Earl Umberto Serristori, willing to bring the complex back again “to its ancient form”. The intervention gave it its present appearance, and, meanwhile, every environment was provided with furniture and furnishings in harmony with the ancient character of the building, in whose halls the Earl prepared a collection (the most part of which had been split up, but counted important pieces like a beautiful polyptyc ascribed to Mariotto di Nardo, today in a private collection [5, 6]) of works of art belonging to the family or bought just for the occasion, as witnessed by the historical photos [7, 8]. What it remains today of this collection is placed in the main hall, while sculpture, inscriptions and armorial bearings of the Serristori’s family can be admired along the walls of the beautiful yard and of the upper open gallery.