This walled burg, on a barrow by Via Francigena, preserves its ancient structure with two squares and two main parallel streets [1-2]. It was an alley of Semifonte Castle, during its short life, against Florence, which, by the way, conquered it at the beginning of the 13th century.
Torrigiani and Brancadoro-Majnoni-Guicciardini palaces witness the presence of noble families . Both of them presents Renaissance characteristics, although their original structures are older and today are used as farms. Inside the second palace, there is the little chapel, beautifully frescoed in 1621 by Giovanni da San Giovanni (Giovanni Mannozzi, 1592-1636) and commissioned by Brancadoro, owner until the 18th century, when the building was conveyed to its actual owners, Majnoni Guicciardini. Decorations to grotesque, dear to Florentine mannerist tradition, frame a series of Marian histories [4-5-6-7]: Madonna of Conception above the altar, Mary’s presentation to the temple and Virgin’s Wedding on the right, Annunciation and Visitation on the access wall, Virgin’s death and Madonna of the Belt on the left. In the two lunettes there are Jesus Nativity and Flight to Egypt; this last scene is represented in a recognizable landscape by river Elsa . The archway is decorated with allegories of God’s awe, of Chastity, Purity, and Mildness. In this important series, Giovanni da San Giovanni looks at the style of very important artists of his age, as Cavalier d’Arpino and Zuccari brothers, reaching a very high quality.
Other notable structures are the roman church of St. Bernard that belongs to Torrigiani, where there is a fresco by Giovanni da San Giovanni with Crucifix and St. Bernard; Guicciardini’s Renaissance chapel dedicated to St. Micheal, placed on square Torrigiani; the 14th century St. Andrew’s Church on the homonymous square, rebuilt in 1934 . Whereas Villa of Valdigelata was built at the end of 19th century by Raffaele Torrigiani and frescoed by Galileo Chini, important representative of Italian Liberty style.