The fortified structure of this village [1-2], already present near the year 1000, is due to Earls Alberti and to Emperor Federico Barbarossa’s will to contrast the growing power of Florence, which soon could get hold of the “castle”. In 1312 the castle underwent a devastating besiegement by Emperor Arrigo VII, who came in Italy in order to suppress the struggles between Guelphs and Ghibellines . The Roman gate and the walls nearby were destroyed and the walls have never been rebuilt, in fact that part of fortification is still missing today. The only gate that still exists, the Florentine one , leads to the small central square where there is the XII century cistern; the mansions that look out on it are subsequent . Under the square there are caves dug in tufa, which were used in the past as hiding places. By the gate there is the caisson tower with a bell to signal dangers to the population that acts also as bell-tower for the underlying sixteenth century church of Sant’Anna . Upon its altar there is a painting by Niccolò Bonini dated 1517, which represents the Visitation and that frames an embossed Madonna with the Infant and St. Jhonny, a copy of the original one by Benedetto da Maiano. On the road that leads to Uliveto’s area there is a 17th century tabernacle dedicated to St. Thomas, in memory of an ancient church entitled to the Apostol and set just out of the walls.
At the beginning of the village, there is St. Romulus’ Church, originally roman but mostly rebuilt between XIX and XX century. Inside the church are conserved a canvas of the Crucifixion similar to the style of Francesco Curradi (1570-1661), an 18th century painting with the Resurrection and Saints Andrew and Romulus and an Annunciation dated 1619 by the Florentine painter Francesco Mati.