Marcialla grew up as “market place” of the near Pogna Castle of Earls Alberti  in a strategic position between the valleys of Virginio and Agliena. The news of the village fortification, wanted since 1382 by Florence, under which influnce there was Marcialla, suggests that, by that period the village was already independent from Pogna. The conversion in Free Municipality seems witnessed also by a seal of the XIII-XIV century, preserved in National Museum of Bargello in Florence, on which there is the inscription “SIGILLUM COMUNIS MARCIALLE” .
To the main square look out the 18th century Giannozzi Palace and Saint Mary’s Church, which was probably built in XIII century but was worked over again during the 16th century. At the end of the 14th century the religious building was property of the Austin friars, who erected their own cloister, embodied in 1570 to the Santo Spirito’s one in Florence; it seems that the Austin friars left Marcialla in the middle of the following century.
Many of the paintings that decorate the inside, belong to the beginning of XVI century. The frescos representing the Annunciation and the Ascension, dated 1502, are by Filippo d’Antonio Filippelli (1460-1506), a very active painter in Val d’Elsa and in Val di Pesa, trained in Badia a Passignano on the examples of Bernardo Rosselli and of Ghirlandaio brothers. .
The Pietà’s fresco has been considered, in latest years too, a work by a young Michelangelo ; this traditional attribution seemed to find confirmation with the discovery on the fresco itself in 1879 of the initials “BMF”, that was interpreted as a signature of the great artist. Actually, an exhaustive study of the work demonstrated that the author should be considered Tommaso di Stefano Lunetti, Florentine painter scarcely known but very enjoyable. The board with the Nativity, now on the main altar (circa 1525) , and the very damaged frescos with Saints Rocco and Sebastian belong to him. They were originally placed besides a wooden statue of Saint Anthony Abbot by the altar dedicated to him (they are saints connected to the plague and the complex dates probably back to the wave of 1528) . Under historical sources, the Nativity was given by the Florentine family Del Nente , owner of some fields by Pogni and of an altar in Saint Mary’s Church. Probably, Del Nente family commissioned a little later also the Pietà.
Finally, Crucifixion and Immaculate Conception are works of the first half of the 17th century by a still anonymous author.