The Museum of the Treasure of Santa Maria dell’Impruneta is on the first floor of the great loggia, close to the Basilica. It preserves the extraordinary artistic heritage, including all the donations made by the Medici Grand Dukes and the most noble Tuscan families over the centuries in order to show their gratitude to the Virgin of Impruneta.
The most significant groups of the displayed objects are the gifts offered to the Virgin during the two important processions which took place in 1633 and in 1711.
Among the principal categories to which the displayed objects pertained, there are: jewellery, fabrics and illuminated codexes. The main room is dedicated to this first section, in which silver and rock crystals stand out for their magnificent reflections. Aside from the splendid collections of votive vases, the astylar cross (of 1425) ascribed to Lorenzo Ghiberti needs to be mentioned, as well as the reliquary of the Saint Cross (of 1620) ascribed to the famous goldsmith Cosimo Merlini. It was commissioned by Maria Maddalena d’Austria, wife of Cosimo de’ Medici the 2nd.
The second section includes the collection of sacred hangings. Amongst them are six 16th to 18th century capes, which protected the Image of the Virgin, and the altar table cloth made in embroidered gauze (of the 16th century). The small pillow that comes from the sepulchral vestments of the Bishop Antonio degli Agli (before 1477) needs to be mentioned. It is a rare and antique example of patchwork, which utilises fragments of precious recovered fabrics.
The section with the illuminated codexes is important both for the number of pieces and for their quality: 11 manuscripts date back to the 14th and the 16th centuries. There are also some impressive terracotta bricks made in various periods of time, which depict the Virgin of Impruneta and some soppani (made in Impruneta terracotta), which were used as ceiling decorations.
Piazza Buondelmonti 28 - Impruneta (FI)
Winter museum visiting :
from November 1 to March 31
Sat - Sun 9-13 15-18
Summer museum visiting :
From April 1 to October 31
Sat - Sun 9-13 16-19