The parish of St Peter of Ripoli rises by the 4th mile from Florence on the ancient Strada Romana, which led to Arezzo, therefore it is mentioned in a document preceding the year One thousand as Quarte, plebe Sancti Petri. The present building dates back to XI century, as witnessed by the regularity of the bricks, the plan with three naves and an apse and other typical elements of the roman Tuscan . The parish’s sober appearance is due to a restoration realized in 1932-33, in particular to eliminate the 18th century additions . Already in the preceding centuries the church underwent some readjustments: in the 14th century, for example, the porch in façade was added ; the doorway lunette is frescoed with the Madonna with the Infant and the Saints Peter and Paul.
A white and green inlay panel has been included in the left sided altar . It is a fragment of liturgical furnishing, datable between XII and XIII century, a moment in which the marquetry technic was very spread in Florence, for example in San Miniato al Monte, basilica from which the parish of Ripoli still depended in 1185. To the roman period belongs also some fragments of reliefs with vegetable decorations and the basin of the baptismal font.
During the 30s restoration, emerged some 14th century frescos: a Christ in pity between Madonna and St. John Evangelist with the symbols of the Passion, an Annunciation in the lunette and another Virgin Mary are ascribed to the Florentine Pietro Nelli and datable near the 1380 [5, 6]; the name of the client, Donna Mattea dei Lupicini, family which grounded in those years the Chapel of the Annunziata, is still readable. To the same painter is ascribed a Cross painted in the oratory next to the parish; the two hooded figure on the lower side represents members of the Company of the Holy Cross which, since 1305, gathered there .
Definitely later, of the 17th century, is the painting with the The Decollation of St. John the Baptist, ascribed to Giovanni Martelli or to Orazio Fidani.