The Spring of Morgan the Faye, or Fairy Brothel , is a small building, built between 1573 and 1575 by Giambologna for Bernardo Vecchietti. The client’s name and the date of the work are readable on the keystone of one of the three arcades [2, 3]. Originally the nymphaeum belonged to the complex of villa The Rest (today Signorini) property of Vecchietti, famous for having named the treatise of Raffaello Borghini (The Rest, 1584).
Built as a wings with two adjoining fronts overlooking a small open space, everything seems created to amaze the spectator with a magic and fantastic sensation. The entrance and the windows are finished with alberese stone; the architraves has rustic roughly-hew tympanum. On the left there is a 16th century tabernacle in pietra serena which once included a fresco representing Christ and the Samaritan (today removed) . Inside there is a fountain built from a basin in pietra serena, held by a rough base whose zoomorphic form reminds the mermaid’s tail. The water overflowing from the stone basin, drops as a waterfall in the hexagonal tank below. In the middle of this tank there is the brick base which once held a sculpture representing Morgan the Faye, by Giambologna. On the fountain’s side, two symmetrical doorways complete the scenography. The left one leads, by a small stairway, to the upper level, where exists some small rooms, one of which meant to be a kitchen.