The Latin origin of the name Linari, that is “linearis”, indicates its position at the boundaries of the valley territory of river Elsa, which separates influential areas of Siena and Florence. The walled village  was originally under the rule of the Earls Cadolingi of Fucecchio and its first known documented testimony is of the year 1072, when it appears in Badia a Passignano papers. The village became subsequently independent: it was admitted in San Donato League and in 1279 became a Free Municipality (as remembered on an incision placed near the medieval cistern in the middle of the village) and during the 14th century lived a prosperous period that ended with the Florentine reconquers. Nowadays antique structures of the walls, streets and of the main buildings are still well recognizable, although the village is almost in a state of disuse .
A staircase leads to the place of the ancient rock, where rises Saint Mary’s Church, partially spoiled. The medieval structure was modified during the baroque period, as attested by stucco’s decorations and altars. These were decorated with paintings, now transferred in Santo Stephen al Ponte’s Church in Florence. Outside the village walls there is Santo Stephen’s Church and besides there is the Oratory dedicated to San Carlo Borromeo, who stopped in Linari during a trip to Rome .