The first written records of the Pieve di San Donato date from January 989, when it was mentioned in a deed of donation transferring some land to the Badia a Passignano.
The church was the seat of a chapter of canons; from the end of the 12th century, its status was equal to that of Badia a Passignano and Badia a Isola, according to the documents of that period. The growing importance of the parish church led to its overall rebuilding in the late 12th-early 13th century. At the time, it ruled over 16 suffragan churches.
The Romanesque façade features a bell tower on the right, older than the church itself, remarkable for its beauty and the regular surface of its walls. The three apses are also devoid of decoration, except at the base and the crowning cornice, pierced by three narrow splayed single-lancet windows and crowned with a monolithic archivolt.
Inside, the church is roofed with wooden trusses and distinguished by the same severe austerity as the exterior. It is divided into three naves with six each and two rows of rectangular pillars.
In the first span on the right is a baptismal font from 1513 attributed to Giovanni Della Robbia and a triptych by Giovanni del Biondo dating from 1375.