The parish church of San Pietro in Bossolo was probably founded by the Alamanni family before the mid-11th century. It was first owned by the Florentine bishops and then by the Cathedral Chapter, which held authority over it until 1340.
In the 15th century the noble family of Buondelmonti became its patrons and one of its members, the parish priest Andrea, enlarged the church and commissioned major restoration work.
In 1508 he financed the reconstruction of the priest’s house. Two years later he had the southeast side enlarged and a portico built in front of the church. In the next two centuries the interior of the church was modified still further, and in the radical restoration carried out in 1946 its original aspect was entirely lost.