The Parish Church of San Leolino was probably founded in the 10th-11th century. The floor plan with three naves, divided by arches supported by square pillars, the basilica design, the walls of alberese and limestone, are typical features of Romanesque architecture.
Restored many times over the centuries, the church retains its original design only in the apsidal part, while the anterior part was remodelled in the 18th century.
Inside, above the altar on the left, is a fresco representing the Coronation of the Virgin, of the Florentine school, dating from the late 14th century. During restoration the fresco was detached, allowing the salvaging of the sinopia, that is, the preparatory drawing traced in red by the artist on the first rough layer of the plaster. The sinopia differs in places from the finished fresco, showing how the artist sometimes changed his mind.
Above the altar on the right, a detached fresco of the Madonna Nursing the Christ Child by Bicci di Lorenzo has been placed. It had been venerated in the nearby Oratory of Sezzano until 1797. Noteworthy is the 16th-century baptismal font in polychrome glazed terracotta, representing Stories of St. John the Baptist, from the workshop of Santi Buglioni.
The six sections of the hexagonal font showing scenes from the life of the Saint are divided by ornate double pilaster strips.
Via della Pieve V - Rignano sull'Arno (Fi)
Open by appointment