The Museum, inaugurated in June 2006, occupies a section on the back right-hand side of the abatial complex and displays much of the Abbey’s existing artistic heritage.
The large hall contains a variety of “treasures”, displayed in elegant cabinets. They include liturgical vestments, a selection of paintings belonging to the Abbey (displayed in rotation), books and illuminated codices, everyday objects such as majolicas or ancient missals, and lastly the collection of scagliolas produced by Father Enrico Hugford.
Especially noteworthy in the exhibition are two treasures, both returned here when the museum was opened after having been removed in the 19th century following the suppression of the monasteries. They are the famous Parato Altoviti, consisting of an altar-facing, two tunicles and a chasuble adorned with magnificent embroidery and the great altarpiece of the Madonna and Child with Four Saints by Domenico Ghirlandaio and assistants, whose enameled colours shine again after a long and complex restoration. Both artworks are on loan from the Florentines Galleries that bought them in the 19th century .
In the adjacent Treasure Room, magnificent liturgical furnishings are displayed, among them numerous chalices, reliquaries of glass or carved, gilded wood and monstrances. Outstanding among these pieces is the precious reliquary containing the arm of St. Giovanni Gualberto, commissioned in silver and enamel by the Abbot Biagio Milanesi of the famous goldsmith Giovanni Sogliani, who produced it in 1500.
Via San Benedetto 115 - Vallombrosa (Fi)
Summer museum visiting (28 June to 3th September)
From Monday to Sunday
10.00 - 12.00 15.00 - 18.00
Winter museum visiting
Open by appointment