On the site of the current building complex called il Vivaio, until 1983 a monastery as well as a school of the Friars Minor (Franciscans), there originally existed a church-oratory dedicated to the Virgin Mary and a convent whose nuns provided shelter for wanderers and pilgrims, as documented from 1309 to 1387.
In 1510 the church was bequeathed to the Franciscans and, few years later, was dedicated to Saints Cosmos and Damian in honour of Cosimo de’ Medici. In 1592 it was enlarged by an imposing portico to welcome pilgrims.
From 1897 to 1916, the convent hosted a school that trained missionaries to be sent to popular missions, as well as a meeting place for missionaries returning from various parts of the world. When the monks left the territory in the early Eighties, the parish was acquired by priests belonging to the Focolare Movement, who started a school for priests there.
Inside, above the altar is a large 17th-century painting showing saints worshipping a polychrome terracotta bas-relief depicting the Madonna and Child attributed to Lazzaro Cavalcanti, known as Buggiano, after a drawing by Luca della Robbia.
Along the nave are four pietra serena altars dating back from the late 16th century, while on the walls, paintings of Franciscan saints and the Stations of the Cross are enclosed in large stucco frames.
Midway down the nave, two funeral monuments can be seen along the side walls: on the right is the tomb of Alfonso Altoviti, who died in 1630; on the left, the tomb of Lorenzo Cambini, who died in 1670. The chancel is divided from the apse by a large rectangular marble altar made by Gaetano Ansolani in 1736.