The Oratorio del Crocifisso (Oratory of the Crucifix) in Incisa, originally a chapel contiguous to the Ospedale di San Lorenzo, dates back to the mid-14th century and was built at the initiative of Saint Andrea Corsini, Bishop of Fiesole. The miraculous wooden cross from the 16th century kept here, especially venerated by the local people, arrived only later, donated by members of the Buonomini Congregation of San Martino, whose Camerlengo was Jacopo di Biagio dall’Ancisa. With its arrival, the oratory became a destination for pilgrims from the surrounding countryside.
The architectural structure of the building is extremely simple. Its façade is distinguished by a 16th-century portal, flanked by two small square windows used by the faithful to leave alms, while the interior has a single nave.
The two rooms of the oratory and the adjacent sacristy house the Museum of Religious Art of Incisa Valdarno (Museo di Arte Sacra di Incisa Valdarno), inaugurated in 2002. It displays a local heritage of great historical and artistic value, including some religious paintings and liturgical furnishings coming from neighbouring parish churches.
Among the most valuable artworks are a small panel painting by the Master of Barberino, an artist documented between 1358 and 1369 who took part in the decoration of Santa Maria Novella in Florence; a Madonna and Saints by Sebastiano Mainardi; another Madonna and Child with Saints attributed to Bugiardini and, among the 17th-century works, an extraordinary image of Saint Michael weighing souls, by Orazio Fidani.
Displayed in the sacristy are various religious furnishings, vestments manufactured by Tuscan craftsmen in the 16th-17th century, a beautiful 17th century wardrobe and numerous ex-voto reliquaries bearing witness to the people’s devotion.
Via Castellana - Incisa in Val d'Arno (Fi)
Open by appointment