Incisa in Val d’Arno takes its name from the narrow passage that the Arno River has eroded for thousands of years in the rocky banks, on its way to the Florentine plain and from there to the sea.
The narrow passage, an ideal place to build a bridge, has always been strategically important to the city of Florence, which has fortified it since the first years of the 13th century.
The Castle of Incisa, many traces of which remain, dominated from above the valley, the bridge, the mills and the roads, as well as the village that grew up at its base. In the 13th century it headed one of the most important leagues in the Florentine Republic, and in the 15th century was the seat of a Podestà.
The town was known as Ancisa until 1893.
The architectural remains are many, especially from the earliest period: the medieval Castle of Incisa, the remains of its walls and inside them, the home of Petrarch’s father, numerous parish churches throughout the territory, the ancient parish church of San Biagio and the church of the Vivaio, built over an ancient oratory.