The Church of Santo Stefano, mentioned for the first time in 1156 in a papal bull issued by Pope Hadrian IV, is located in Pozzolatico, an area already inhabited in Roman times, as documented by archeological finds.
Restoration work carried out in 1671 led to the construction of the parish house, an event commemorated by a stone inscription on the façade. The Ricci family later became the patron of the church; by 1735 it had become badly deteriorated and shabby, and they financed its restoration. Upon completion of the work, the church was consecrated again on June 5,1737 and dedicated to St. Stephen and St. Catherine. Not long afterwards, in 1769, the Loggia of the Compagnia was also restored.
Outside of the church is its striking bell tower, the lower part still covered by its original Romanesque revetment. The façade is plastered and very simple. Above the portal, a stone coat of arms is set into the wall.
Inside, the church is adorned by a number of artworks: the Martyrdom of Saint Stephen, a copy after the painting by Pietro da Cortona, a Virgin and Child attributed to Jacopo del Casentino framed in a canvas by Giovanni Martinelli dated 1647; a Virgin and Child with St. John between Sts. Cosmos and Damian by Alessandro Allori, dating from 1582, and an Ecstasy of Saint Catherine de' Ricci by Jacopo Vignali. Noteworthy is the Chapel of the Counts of Larderel.