This square represents an extraordinary urban space, which was originally built both for the great livestock fair, which attracted many people from all over the region, and for the religious events linked to the cult of the Virgin. It was an important crossroad, where the seven streets, along which the town is articulated, met.
Impruneta writer and journalist, Ferdinando Paolieri in his works (i.e. Novelle Toscane and Natio Borgo Selvaggio), describes the square as the gathering place where people, who are important for the civic and social life of the town, gathered. There are many pictorial portrayals of this square, starting from those depicted in the Fiera di San Luca by Callot. The most famous is the engraving by Jacques Callot depicting more than one thousand people with liveliness and spontaneity. A copy can be found in the entrance hall of the Town Library on the right side of the Buondelmonti Square.
The Festa dell’Uva (Fair of the Grapes) takes place in this square and has done so since 1927. The four neighbourhoods of the town (Fornaci, Pallò, Sant’ Antonio, Sante. Marie) are active participants in this event. Many publications and videos witness the various years of the Festa dell’Uva.
The tragic bombing by the allies, which took place on the 27th and 28th of July 1944, is still impressed in the memory of the town. This bombing destroyed a great portion of the church– which was then rebuilt accurately- much of the town centre and killed many citizens. Many books and documentaries give evidence to this painful event.
This square is characterised by a slight slope towards the basilica and by a series of loggias, on the facades of the basilica and on the right side, which were built in the 17th century to receive pilgrims. On the left side is the County Hall which was built at the end of the 1930s, once again using the theme of loggias. The amphitheatre of the hills, the Monte delle Sante Marie, at the back of the church, acts as the natural counterpoint of this space. In the centre, there is the 13th century bell tower, adorned with four orders of Romanesque single and double lancet windows. On the left of the facade, there is the medieval civic tower, with its great clock-face, which witnesses the presence of the ancient fortified parish church.