Tradition narrates that this parish church was erected in 1007 beside the mighty bell tower, perhaps to replace a more ancient chapel, at the joint initiative of the Bishop of Fiesole and the Ubertini family, who owned a castle in the vicinity, at Gaville.
By 1030 the church had been built up to the pilasters, and the six cylindrical columns with carved capitals were added later. The building was completed in 1070 and dedicated to Saint Romulus the Martyr, first Bishop of Fiesole.
The bell tower is composed of two parts: one in front of the church that extends halfway up, with four rounded arches in stone, and the other added in the 18th century. At the top of the bell tower, four windows framed in terra cotta tiles support the bell-stocks, which date from 1215, 1620 and 1954, from the smallest to the largest. The bell from 1404, which is severely damaged, has been placed in the cloister of the priest’s house.
The interior consists of three naves, each divided by six arches. The arches closest to the presbytery are supported by pilasters built of finely-worked ashlars, the others by three monolithic columns with carved capitals representing (first to the right) a hippogriff, and (second and third to the right) scrolls and foliage.