The Serristori Hospital was founded in 1399 by a Prior of the Republic of Florence, Serristoro di Ser Jacopo. The charity organization was gradually transformed from a lodging place for pilgrims into a true hospital. The pharmacy seems to have been opened in the early 16th century. In 1724 it underwent remodelling: dating from this time are the walnut cabinets of Florentine manufacture with which it is furnished. In 1856, with the suppression of the religious congregations in Tuscany, the pharmacy's activity came to an end. Today the collection is managed by the Cultural Department of the Commune of Figline Valdarno.
The collection, made up of glassware and majolica, represents one of the finest examples of Tuscan ceramics and glassware craftsmanship from the late 16th to the 19th century. Of special interest is a set of ampoules with lip manufactured in Montelupo Fiorentino, bearing the Dominican coat of arms and the date 1620, along with some albarellos marked with the heraldic emblem of the Serristori family, dating from the 18th century and commissioned expressly for the Hospital's pharmacy. The collection is completed by mortars, funnels, alembics and various glass objects for medicinal herbs.
Piazza XXV Aprile 10 - Figline Valdarno (Fi)
055 91251 (Comune di Figline Valdarno)
Open by appointment (free entrance)