The presence of the Friars Minor in Figline has been recorded since 1229, and the first church built in this area was probably called Santa Croce, according to tradition, in honour of a wooden relic of the Holy Cross donated by Philip the Fair to Musciatto dei Franzesi, who gave it in turn to the Friars Minor.
In the late 13th-early 14th century, the church we see today was erected. The façade shows the remnants of a two-colour revetment with alternating courses of light-hued stone and green marble. It is preceded by a beautiful Renaissance portico whose elegant columns adorn the left side of the monastery.
The interior consists of a single broad nave with a shallow transept and three end chapels. When the city of Figline returned the church and monastery of Saint Francis to the Friars Minor in 1926, drastic restoration was conducting, bringing back to light numerous frescos attributed to the Florentine painter Francesco d’Antonio and to Pier Francesco Fiorentino.
Along the left wall of the nave, in a large aedicule, is a fresco portraying the Blessed Virgin Mary of Assumption giving her girdle to Saint Thomas, while in the Serristori chapel on the left arm of the transept is a modern copy of a polyptych painted by Mariotto di Nardo in 1424. On the right arm of the transept is a 14th-century fresco depicting Christ as the Man of Sorrows and Saints.
The sacristy is adorned with a painted stucco of the Virgin and Child produced by the atelier of Lorenzo Ghiberti between 1420 and 1430. The cloister gives access to the Chapter House, now become a chapel, decorated with a 14th-century fresco depicting the Crucifixion, previously attributed to the Master of Figline, an 18th-century painting depicting Saint Francis in Prayer and a painting of the Virgin and Child by Giovanni del Biondo.