Housed in two rooms adjacent to the sacristy of the Collegiate of Santa Maria is the small but precious Collection of Religious Art. Inaugurated in 1983, it contains paintings, church ornaments, jewelry, vestments and illuminated manuscripts, arranged according to both type and period.
Displayed in the first room are four large paintings, noteworthy among them the pair of triangular pictures portraying Angels, from around 1480, attributed after the recent restoration to Domenico Ghirlandaio. The two paintings were originally placed at the sides of the cusp of the so-called Maestro di Figline’s painting representing Majesty, above an altar inside the Collegiate.
The Martyrdom of Saint Lawrence by the painter Ludovico Cardi, known as “il Cigoli”, is equally interesting. Displayed in the same room are two splendid illuminated graduals dating from the 15th century.
In the second room of the museum, entered through a fine gabled portal in pietra serena, we find cabinets containing liturgical vestments and church ornamentation of various workmanship and periods.
Piazza Marsilio Ficino 43
Figline Valdarno (FI)
Open by appointment