The Collegiate Church of Santa Maria in Figline Valdarno was erected in 1257 as the official parish church. In 1493, Pope Alexander VI conferred on it the new title of Collegiate, which implied the presence of a parish priest and twelve canons, as well as revenue and fixed assets. This chapter still exists today.
The church underwent significant alterations during the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries. In addition to the building of baroque altars, modifications were made in the tower bell and the sacristy in the second half of the 17th century. In the 18th century various embellishments were made, such as the floor and the baluster, and the arch of the gallery was built.
The interior with its single nave is distinguished, in the presbyteral area, by the large 18th-century arch opening onto the gallery and by the two gabled portals in pietra serena. The portal on the right gives access to the room of the Company of the Blessed Sacrament, and from there to the sacristy. A little further on, a door opens onto the 19th-century Chapel of the Blessed Sacramento, circular in plan, surrounded by a colonnaded ambulatory; beside the altar is a beautiful statue of St. Joseph attributed to Andrea della Robbia.
Returning to the nave, still along the right wall, in a neo-Gothic aedicule built and frescoed at the time of the latest restoration in the 1930s we find the most important painting in the church, the Majesty by the so-called Master of Figline.