A display cabinet inside the antiquarium contains items found in today’s Petrognano locality, where the castle of Semifonte stood in the 12th century. According to the records, it was built around 1180 but was soon destroyed. Its strategic position and rapid development quickly draw the attention of Florence, which broke its resistance and razed it to the ground in 1202, after a two-year siege.
Along with the fragments of Etruscan-Roman pottery that indicate the presence in this territory of a settlement existing well before the Roman castrum, numerous shards from the Late Period have been discovered in the vicinity, dating up to the 15th-16 centuries and demonstrating with certainty that life still continued in that place even after the destruction of Semifonte, despite the categorical ban on building imposed by the City of Florence.
The prohibition was probably limited to the original area of the castle, allowing the survival of the other settlements which, with subsequent transformations, have continued up to our own day, as seems indicated by some structures in Petrognano itself.