The Antiquarium of Sant’Appiano, which has been hosted in the building annexed to the parish church since 1991, was created to display the abundant archaeological material found in the surrounding area during the excavations that followed the first chance discoveries made in the early 20th century.
Between 1907 and 1910, during agricultural work, some Etruscan chamber tombs were found which, although violated in the past, contained numerous relics dateable from the 8th to the 2nd century B.C. Often of remarkable artistic quality, they were not from local production only, as shown by numerous pieces of Attic black and red-figure pottery dating back to the 6th-4th century B.C., as well as alabaster funerary urns from the Hellenistic period and from Volterra depicting scenes of Greek mythology.
The first room is devoted mainly to objects found during excavations conducted at San Martino ai Colli, where two tombs of wealthy families were discovered. They contained a great variety of materials, suggesting the existence of a small necropolis, where shrines from different epochs collapsed into one another over the centuries.
Displayed in the second room are objects taken from two Etruscan tombs found in 1973 on a farm called Piazza, near Sant’Appiano. On the wall is a painting of the Virgin and Child Enthroned with St. John the Baptist and St. James of the Marches, dating from the first half of the 15th century and attributed to the so-called Master di Signa.
Strada S.Appiano 1
50021 - Barberino Val D'Elsa (Fi)
Winter Museum visiting :
from November 1 to March 31
Open by appointment
Summer Museum visiting :
from April 1 to October 31