The buildings comprising the Pieve di Sant’ Appiano consist of the church, including the cloister and the priest’s house, and the remains of the cross-shaped pillars in the baptistery, whose capitals are carved with Christian symbols.
The proto-Romanesque parish church as it appears today is the result of many superimposed layers of architectural modifications. The original parts are still recognizable in the sturdy quadrangular pillars of the left nave and the elevated arcades of the outer galley.In 1171 the bell tower was struck by a lightning and fell, destroying the right nave of the church almost entirely. It was immediately rebuilt using a different material, brick, and according to the later Romanesque style. The slenderer arcades rest on cylindrical columns with stone capitals decorated with acanthus leaves, becoming progressively thicker nearer to the presbytery, up to the last one carved with human features.
In 1476, in order to balance the buildings’ inner proportions, a quadrangular chapel was built at the end of the left nave, similar and symmetrical to the base of the bell tower on the right side.
Noteworthy among the artworks in the church are a fresco depicting the Virgin and Child, so severely damaged in a later restoration that its date and the identity of the artist are now uncertain; the 16th-century frescoes on the ceiling of the Chapel of the Virgin of the Assumption, at the base of the bell tower, and those along the walls of the left nave portraying a Dominican Saint, the Martyrdom of St.Sebastian, St. Anthony the Great and St. Matthew the Evangelist, commissioned in 1492 by Francesco di Dante Catellini of a Florentine painter similar in style to Ghirlandaio.