Although the Pieve di San Donnino was founded as early as the eighth century, it was first documented on February 27th, 1067, when the court and the castle of Villamagna were donated to the Monastery of San Pier Maggiore.
In the 14th century the Church was fully renovated. In 1640 the Chapel of the Compagnia di San Donnino was built and restoration work was done, mainly on the façade. Then in 1930 the church was restored to its original Romanesque style.
The interior, with three naves divided by six rounded arcades resting on rectangular columns, is quite bare, although some traces of 15th-century frescoes can still be seen in the fourth and fifth bays on the right. Among the finest artworks in the church are the triptych by Mariotto di Nardo dating from 1394 and the painting portraying the Virgin and Child with San Donnino and San Gherardo by Francesco Granacci, while halfway down the nave, surrounded by a Renaissance frame, we can admire the Madonna and Child Enthroned with Sts. John the Baptist, Nicholas, Donnino and Sebastian, by David Ghirlandaio.
Above the baptismal font is a painting depicting Saint John the Baptist and Saint Anthony Abbot with Saint Francis receiving the stigmata, dating from the first half of the 14th century, by Jacopo di Cione.
In the presbytery, below the major altar, is a coffer containing the body of the Blessed Gherardo da Villamagna.