A simple oratory was built in 1596 under parsons of San Donato in Poggio and of Campoli’s will to honour an image of the Madonna considered miraculous, placed in a near tabernacle settled along the “strada romana”. To this aim two brothers of the noble family of Naldi of San Donato, gave one of their estates, placed in Pietracupa. Between 1599 and 1600 it was decided to move there the venerable image and on that occasion, the church was arranged in its present forms ; to the middle of the 17th century dates back the outside porch, become necessary to welcome a number of pilgrims always growing.
The inside with one nave, preserves the venerable image of the Madonna with the Infant (the so called “Madonna of the Graces”) , fresco ascribed to the Florentine painter Paolo Schiavo (1397-1478), set in a little hole made on the painting, which the painter Domenico Passignano (1559-1638) made exactly for this aim at the beginning of the 17th century and who thought it up to create a coronation scene of the Madonna . By its side, there are the saints of the plover: St. Peter, St. Donato, St. Lawrence and the Archangel Gabriel. Above the left altar there is a painting representing the Crucifixion between the Saints Jerome and Francis, a work signed by Cosimo Gamberucci and dated 1609 ; its pendant on the right altar is a painting by an unknown painter, representing the Virgin who appears to St. Charles Borromeo (XVII century). In the chapel on the altar’s left is visible the tomb of the family Gerardini (XVIII century). In 1921 the family Torrigiani widened the building at the church’s back and founded a nursery school entrusted to the nuns who live still there today.