The foundation of the Franciscan ex-nunnery of St. Lucy, remembered for the first time in a will of 1278, dates traditionally back to Brother Elia da Cortona, mate of St. Francis. To the 13th century chronology refer the Gothic characteristics of the building, well exemplified by the ogival bowed windows [1, 2]. The church, as all the Franciscan ones, has an only nave, with trussed ceiling and purse in the main altar area. .
The presence of two memorial stones and emblems of the lords Gherardini, Ranuccini, Beinicasa and Nuti, witnesses the interest of the notable families for this church, to which were destined many legacies .
The complex was object of different readjustments: already in the first decades of the 14th century, the church was widened, while the remaining parts of the nunnery has 15th century characteristics; in baroque age, moreover, the inside was restored and redecorated. After a long deterioration period, at the end of the 19th century, was made a restoration with which it was tried to bring the church back again to its presumed original appearance. On this occasion were found under the painting, pieces of frescos of the middle XIV century, representing Madonna with the Infant and many Saints, as testimony of the rich decoration of the hall under the classical Franciscan usage [5, 6]. Of the 14th century is also the painted and shaped Cross, conserved on one of the altars on the right, while the wooden Crucifix above the main altar refers to the following century. In its original position in the left chapel of the Annunziata, is exhibited the board of the Annunciation, realized by the Florentine painter Neri di Bicci in 1471 .
The nunnery was suppressed once in 1787 under Leopoldo di Lorena’s will and then, definitely, as consequence of the Unity of Italy. However, the church preserves the title of parish.