The suburb of Sambuca takes its name from a castle, or masoned village, documented in XI-XII century, placed on an interesting crossing of ways that connected eastward-westward the Chianti with Val d’Elsa and northward-southward Florence with Siena and Rome. This last way, the Strada Regia Romana, crossed river Pesa in correspondence of the Bridge of Romagliano (or Ramagliano) [1, 2]. The first memory of this structure lies in a document of 1179, written in the Sambuca castle. To this age could correspond also (XII-XIII century) the nearby building conserved still nowadays, where are maybe to be found the rests of the guard tower, subsequently transformed in inn, as extracted by the writings of the Captains of Guelf Side (end XVI century) . The proximity of the way encouraged the creation of a spedale for wayfarer entitled to San Lazzaro.
The presence of the bridge has certainly encouraged the development of the village of Sambuca, at castle’s feet. In fact, some documents of the 13th century tells about “village of the Bridge of Sambuca” and, since 1301, a document witnesses that “a licence was given to two masters bricklayers of the Municipality of Florence to build houses in the village of Sambuca”, along the shores of river Pesa. Furthermore, near the bridge there was probably also a water mill, cited in a document of 1314.
The ancient bridge was rebuilt in 1415 and in the first part of 16th century was created a tabernacle with the Madonna with the Infant and St. Ann by the northern exit. Then it was rebuilt and widened in 1843, to be subsequently destroyed during the Second World War, when the passage to the front invested fully Val di Pesa. It was rebuilt in 1946, following an old plan. Anyway, in XVIII century has been built little below a new bridge on Pesa, just called Ponte Nuovo. The current Via Cassia transits on it.