The parish of St. Stephen a Campoli was probably arisen in XII century, in substitution of a more ancient building, to which refers a document of 903. Its patrons were the Florentine Bishops, feudal lords of this area. The parish was probably very rich, thanks to its nineteen depending churches and its importance may be inferred also by the personalities who, during the centuries, were elected its parsons: above all Giovanni di Lorenzo de’ Medici, future Pope Leone X (1513-1521).
The parish of St. Stephen has a basilican structure of rather imposing dimensions . The façade presents a regular masonry in alberese ashlars and is decorated by typical roman hanging bows and by bricks disposed in saw teeth shape (which go along the body of the building), while the wide porch with three bows was added in XVIII century, so like the upper window. [2, 3]. The bell tower conserves its ancient appearance, but the merlon crown is a result of a 19th century readjustment . Inside, the three naves are separated by bows set on pillars; the end in apse has been substituted in the central one by a purse. The plastered walls and the stucco decorations are result of readjustments in baroque age .
On the two side altars there are paintings representing the Martyrdom of St. Stephen of the end of XVI –beginning of XVII century  and the Madonna with the Infant and the Saints Stephen, Anthony Abbot, John Evangelist and Francis, ascribed to Giuliano Bugiardini or to Franciabigio . A small 15th century board with the Madonna with the Infant and St. Johnny is on the fifth pillar on the right and was ascribed to Apollonio di Giovanni . In the sacristy is conserved an ebony and silver reliquary, realized in the grand-ducal workshops in 1630, given by the Grand Duke Pietro Leopoldo to the church of Saint Mary in Mercatale.
On the south side, opened the cloister, now much readjusted  while, northward, the oratory of the Company of St. Stephen was grounded in 1575, under the inscription on the architrave of the door of connection to the church.
In the parish of Campoli neighbourhood rose also the castle of Monte Campolese (or Montefalco), on which, it seems, had authority the same Florentine Bishops, who settled there a Podestà in their representation. Nevertheless, in 1379, it is mentioned in a bull as Ghibelline castle, in favour of the empire. In the castle existed a church dedicated to the Virgin, of pertinence of the Bishops, suppressed in 1786.
In the Middle Age often arose some street villages below the castles, which acted as market places for them. This is the origin of the village of Mercatale (suburb hamlet of San Casciano Val di Pesa), enhanced in 1237 by Podesta of Monte Campolese: it is indicated both by the name and by the trapezoidal form of its main square and it is mentioned in the 14th century Chronicle of Donato Velluti. On the square faces the church of Saint Mary, built in 1592 and often readjusted, then rebuilt in 1839; besides there is the Nunzi’s mansion, built by family Strozzi, who had many possessions in Chianti .
In Mercatale neighbourhood, there are some interesting places, as the small roman church of St. Andrew a Luiano, dating back to XII century [12, 13]. It is a well conserved building in alberese ashlars, with an only hall with an apse, once decorated with first 15th century frescos, of which it is conserved a fragment with St. Anthony Abbot in the Museum of San Casciano ; however remains a small column with a capital decorated with human heads, probably coming from the bell tower. .
In the countries surrounding the village of Mercatale there are many mansions and farms, amongst them the Villa di Caserotta that comprehends a chapel decorated by Michele di Ridolfo del Ghirlandaio with Histories of the Life of Christ [17-17].