The parish of San Giovanni in Sugana was built around the beginning of the XIII century, as indicated by the regularity of the bricks in sandstone ashlar and the structure with an only nave with apse, unusual for a parish in Chianti but more common in Val d’Elsa and in small churches of this period . Southward there are the bell tower and the cloister with two orders , while the cabined façade shows the signs of the presence, originally, of a porch. This building substituted the preceding parish dedicated to San John The Baptist that rose not so far away, where now there is the oratory of the Pieve Vecchia.
The Florentine family of Giandonati, rich owner of the area, was patron of the parish, probably since its foundation and contributed during the centuries to beautify it with works of art, as some glazed and polychrome terracotta of the workshop of Buglioni of the beginning of the XVI century. Amongst them, there are the Mourning of the Dead Christ (already ascribed to Giovanni Gonnelli called the Blind of Gambassi; the Madonna is of 1904), above the side altar on the right , and the Madonna with the Infant and the Saints John The Baptist and Anthony Abbot placed on the left one , which shows the white and red emblem of the family . By his order, Neri di Bicci painted, in 1476-1481, the Coronation of the Virgin and Saints, now conserved in the Museum of San Casciano . Here, are conserved other works coming from San Giovanni in Sugana: the 14th century Cross, painted by Master of San Lucchese , the board of the beginning of the 16th century with the Saints Anthony Abbot, Sebastian and Rocco by the Master of Tavarnelle  and the small pillar sculpted by Master of Cabestany in the second half of the XII century . These last two works come from the Pieve Vecchia, although the sculpture was not realized for that. Under the patronage of Giandonati was built also a cloister, of which there are news already in the previous centuries.
From the middle of the 16th century, the patronage passed to Salviati, who modified the inside of the church during the years. To the period of their influence dates back the Crucifixion ascribed to Pier Dandini (1646-1712), exposed on the right wall. During the Baroque was realized the dome of the presbytery and its fresco decoration of the middle 18th century with the Glory of San John The Baptist is by Giuseppe Romei . Other decorations dating back to this period were eliminated with a restoration at the end of the 19th century, when the internal walls were decorated in white and green lines.
On an area that is inhabited since prehistory rises the town of Cerbaia . The settlement in this part of Val di Pesa was supported by the presence of important flows (river Pesa and one of its most important tributary, the Sugana) and by the closeness to the Via Volterrana, which, since the Etruscan age, connected Florence to Volterra and that, right in Cerbaia, crossed the Pesa. In 1295, to favour the passage of a ever growing number of men and wares, was approved the construction of a bridge on Mannino Acciaioli’s plea [12, 13], exponent of the family that, more than every other, bound its name to this territory acquiring possessions, and famous for having given birth to Niccolò Acciaioli, founder of the Certosa del Galluzzo. The resulting consolidation of the viability made necessary, at the same time, the predisposition of structures apt to offer rest and assistance to wayfarer. So happened that the other important family of this area, the Giandonati, patron of the Pieve Vecchia, built the “spedale” of “S. Caterina d’Alessandria al Ponte di Cerbaja”, which performed its duty from XIV to XVIII century. In the 14th century, Cerbaia was not saved from the destructions, that followed the incursions of Castruccio Castracani, Fra Moriale and Arrigo VII, whom is due the almost total destruction of the castle of Acciaioli, once placed where today rises the town of Castellare, exactly the ancient name of the ruins, once still visible, of that ancient fortalice. The Volterranea and the town of Cerbaia are still remembered in the 16th century by famous characters as the scholar Vincenzo Borghini, who, from there, went forth to his mansion of Poppiano, where he regularly invited the architect, painter and literate Giorgio Vasari and Pier Vettori.