This ancient church was built, as to the tradition, in 1117 by Ugo di Guido da Quona (hence the name “Ughi” of the area) to keep faith to a vow. He had in fact invoked the Virgin and Blessed Giovanni Gualberto to find his missing son; received the grace he proceeded to the rebuilding of the church, which was dedicated to Mary, but not to Giovanni Gualberto, because he was canonized only afterwards. A memorial stone, placed inside the church, reminds his consecration on 10 May 1128.
Before dying, the founder disposed that the church would have to be given to Vallombrosani, who already had many possessions in that area and who instituted there a Priorship with some monks and a Prior named by the Abbot of Vallombrosa: from this moment on the complex started to be known as the “Badiuzza”, for its small dimensions. Family da Quona, afterwards become Rinuccini, continued anyway to maintain the patronage, providing the church with help and the needed restorations: already in the 14th century, in fact, the church was in ruin and Messer Francesco da Quona started theworks of widening and raising of the building. In the middle of the 17th century, after the closing of the Priorship, the monks left the building, which was destroyed by French people in 1819.
The very simple inside, made as a hall, underwent heavy restorations. Presently a dome is visible with a fresco representing the Madonna with the Infant (XIX century). The web bell tower was rebuilt after the earthquake of 1895; recently an ancient bell, which carried the date 1241, was removed for safety reasons. Amongst the works in the church are worth reminding the triptych by Jacopo del Casentino, already placed above an altar, today destroyed. The central board, representing the Madonna, is missing, but there remains the side ones with St. Margaret and Michael; the work was framed in the 15th century with the image of Trinity and Saints. On the 15th century marble ciborium is still visible the Rinuccini’s emblem.