The church  has very ancient origins, which go probably back already to XI century, when a “chapel” is remembered in a document of 1139. Its history is narrowly bound to the events of the homonymous castle: this, destroyed and subsequently rebuilt, was transformed, at the end of the 19th century, in neo-Gothic mansion ; the same destructions and following transformations interested also the church which, from the end of the 19th century, has been furthermore restored and given a new bell tower.
From XV to XVI century the church stayed under the patronage of family Della Vacchia (see the emblem on the doorway that leads to sacristy) before passing to Zanchini, as reminded by the memorial stone under the pulpit. Important are the works of art preserved in its inside: starting from the right altar, there is a board representing the Madonna of the Belt between Angels and Saints Anthony Abbot, Thomas, Francis and Jacopo, ascribed to Andrea del Sarto and workshop (Rosso Fiorentino and Pontormo) , while, above the left altar, there is the Madonna with the Infant and Saints Peter, Paul, Apollonia and Michael, work by Mariotto Albertinelli , signed and dated 1514, assigned by Zanobi Della Vacchia. Always to this family is referable the assignment of the board representing the Madonna with the Infant, by Lorenzo di Bicci, datable between 1385 and 1390 and once central part of a polyptyc. In the chapel on the right of the main altar there is a carved wooden ciborium, gilded and painted by Florentine manufacture (end XVI century).