The fortified site, whose ruins occupy today the area of a little olive-grove in the Rignanese manor of the Farm of Pagnana, has been identified as the fortified centre referring to the Lords of Castle called nepotes Rainerii, family of ancient Florentine origin, bound to the biggest count’s lineage of Guidi.
The little settlement, first attested in a document written in 1086 as castellum de rengnano, controlled the great part of the surrounding territory. Its particular position, the rise that dominates one of the possible crossing of the Arno matching the viability that joined, since antiquity, Valdarno to the Florentine plain, makes of it a key point of a territory strategically and early claimed by the city of Florence during the central centuries of the Middle Age.
The comprehension of the historical phenomenon, which determine the success, the withdrawal and the complete transformation of this particular kind of settlements (little castles that, right during the central centuries of the Middle Age, deeply changed the appearance of our countryside), is at the ground of a Project of Research of the University of Florence, wherein the Castelluccio of Rignano represents the “guide-site”. It is here that, from many years, students of archaeology form themselves in the skill of excavation and in the study of the medieval construction. In the remains of buildings of different ages brought to light during the excavations, are recognizable the material signs of the events that had deeply changed the primitive lordly castle.