From the entrance hall, used also as tourist information centre, the museum tour starts with the sacristy, containing among other artworks the carved shaft sculpted by the Master of Cabestany. From here we enter the Chiesa di Santa Maria del Gesù (Church of Saint Mary of Jesus).
The church, tracing back to the second half of the 15th century, was built by Franciscan Friars of the Primitive Observance as a lodging place on the road connecting between the monastery of Fiesole and the monastery of Poggibonsi. In 1493 the architectural complex became a Convent of Clarisses, remaining so until 1530.
Noteworthy among the artworks found here is the Coronation of the Virgin by Neri di Bicci, dating from 1476-81 (the dates when the painting was begun and when it was completed), the painting depicting Anthony the Great, Saint Sebastian and Saint Roch, attributed to the Master of Tavarnelle and dating from around 1515, and a Virgin and Child Enthroned between Saint Peter and Saint Paul, dating from the second or third decade of the 16th century and recently attributed to Master of the Scandicci Lamentation.
From the sacristy, we go on the the hall of paintings and the section dedicated to liturgical vestments and objects.
Returning again to the entrance hall, dominated by the majestic stele called “dell’Arciere” (of the Archer), we go on to the first floor, reached by stairway or lift, which houses the archaeological section. The second room dedicated to archaeology leads on to the primitive dwellings section, which continues on the second floor.
The primitive dwellings section displays cultures from all over the world, with the ambitious objective of illustrating a great variety of buildings and traditional habitats through scale models, explanatory panels and historic pictures.
This section was created thanks to the donation to the City in 1988 of scientific materials from the Building Typologies Archive of the University of Florence’s Architectural Design Department, making San Casciano a study and research centre with a special focus on habitations, as well as on environmental and architectural safeguarding.
Via Lucardesi 6 50026 - S.Casciano (Fi)
Winter museum visiting :
from November 1 to March 31
Mon-Thu 10-13 Sat-Sun 10-13 15-18
Summer museum visiting :
from April 1 to October 31
Fri-Sat-Sun 10-13 16-19